~~BOOK REVIEW~~ The Gifted Thief by Helen Harper



Gifted Thief (Highland Magic #1)

Blurb:
Orphan. Runaway. Thief.

Since the moment I was ripped from my mother's womb, I've been an outcast amongst my own kind. The Sidhe might possess magical Gifts, unbelievable wealth and unfathomable power but I don't want a thing to do with them. I ran away from their lands in the Highlands of Scotland when I was eleven years old and I've never looked back. I don't need a Clan. I've got my own family of highly skilled thieves who mean more to me than any Sidhe ever could.

Unfortunately for me, the playboy heir to the Moncrieffe Clan has something I desperately need. To get it back, I'm going to have to plunge myself back into that world, no matter what the consequences may be. I suppose it's just as well I have sense of humour. I think I'm going to need it. 

My Review:
~5 out of 5 Stars~

One of the first things I noticed about this book was how cool it was that the author didn’t choose a fantasy world, or a modern day world.  Instead, she chose a combination of both.  It was a really cool take on what it would be like if modern day Scotland was ALMOST like it is today – modern conveniences, similar transportation systems, types of jobs, etc.  The only difference was that there was a different class system and government.  Oh yeah…and the upper class/government were Sidhe (fairies) with magical gifts.  If gives a whole different outlook on what life would be like if you add a little magic, and a few other characters that weren’t fully human either.  This book proved life would definitely be more interesting.

I loved all of the characters the author developed in this book, which added more feeling of where her family really was, who her friends really were, and who definitely were not her friends.  And don’t even get me started on Bob…I won’t give it away, but you’ll love him and totally not trust him at the same time.

And of course, there’s Integrity, the main character.  Her life started out super horrible, but it never defined her – certainly not in the way you would expect.  Instead, she decided her childhood would NOT define her, and from a very young age decided on her own who her family would be, and what her life would be.  She wouldn’t let the Sidhe decide for her.  And she’s FUNNY.  In fact, I would absolutely love it if the author did a separate book of just a list of Integrity’s cheesy jokes.  Every time I came across one, I read them to my daughter, so we could both laugh.


I was surprised by how fast this book went, and I was so sad when it ended.  Of course, within seconds, I went ahead and purchased the next book to find out what happens next.  I have a feeling we’re just getting started in finding out what Integrity is capable of, and who she is – and she’ll be a force to be reckoned with.  Especially with those that she considers family by her side.  I can’t wait to see what they’re up to next!

Comments

Popular Posts